WMUR

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:15:57 EDT 2008

Doug Drown wrote:
> (I remember the first time I saw a new, nicely FILMED "NewsCenter 6"
> intro ---  back in the early '80s, I think --- that was comparable to
> stuff I'd seen in Boston ten years earlier, and I went, "Whoooooo.")

It would be great to see those old newscasts again. Just for yucks.  The
manual weather maps. One Boston channel had their maps on a three-sided
structure that rotated and had 'stops' when a map was facing front.
Once, the guy gave it too hard of a spin and it passed the next map and
kept right on going.  Once, Gus over at 9 tapped his map and the magnets
fell off. Talk about a high to low.   WBZ had a slider map with multiple
layers on tracks that would occasion to get 'stuck' as the guy was
trying to coolly move on to the next one.  OTOH, their forecasts were
fairly accurate and that's what really mattered.  Superimposed upon any
legacy newscast discussion is the fact that at that point in time, the
role local news people played in the community at large eclipses
anything we would see now.

Bill O'Neill