WMUR

Richard Chonak rac@gabrielmass.com
Wed Mar 26 17:11:39 EDT 2008

SteveOrdinetz wrote:
> On 3/25/08, Peter Q. George <radiojunkie3@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> It's amazing.  In spite of the primitive facilities at
>> the time, the folks at WMUR-TV still managed to put
>> out some great TV that people STILL remember to this
>> day.
>
> I'm not sure if I'd call it "great tv"..."so bad it was good" might be
> a better term.  It was so cheesy that it was memorable.

To give credit where it's due: I don't think they were notably cheesier
than the average station in NH or ME in the '60s.     Just comparably
cheesy: they were "state of the art"!

I thought WGAN-13 had a little edge over the rest in good production and
operation values, but most of the NH and ME stations I could see from
Portsmouth -- WMUR-9, WMTW-8, WCSH-6, and WENH-11 -- sometimes had
"programs" that consisted of an announcer reading news over a
lame-looking slide.   And some of the local shows on 6, 8, or 11 were as
un-slick as anything on channel 9.

(Oh, man: I'm having a flashback to the "Swap Shop"...)

--RC