Small-town TV

Bud Yacomb outofthebusiness@gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:51:35 EDT 2008

I am glad to hear that Uncle Gus was a regular guy, and even gladder that
talent "owned" a couple of major accounts and could throw this fun fact in
the general manager's face.

Big Brother's milk drinking was centered around his "toast to the President
of the United States."  But Bob didn't seem to care too much for Kennedy and
kept Eisenhower's portrait posted even when he added Kennedy the position of
prominence.

Violence isn't the only reason why we don't see a lot of those old cartoons;
Big Brother regularly ran :"Pow-Wow the Indian Boy" which included a pretty
fair amount of stereotyping.

I had hoped that first the Cartoon Network and later the on-demand CATV
services would allow some of those older cartoons to be brought back (if
licensing could be worked out), but very few of them seem to have made it
... although they did bring back Dick Tracy and then  Hercules for a while
on the Comcast on-demand service and I recall that Hercules was  very
popular during Bob Emery's later program "Clubhouse 4"  I, of course, was
banned from watching Hercules since it would get my brothers and I revved up
for a battle royale centered on the Chesterfield, and, being the oldest, I
got to play Hercules and smack them around. We had already been banned from
watching Major Mudd and the Stooges over on WNAC for the same reason (I was
Moe) so then we were told to watch Bozo\