WMUR

Bud Yacomb outofthebusiness@gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 10:33:57 EDT 2008

I have often wondered whether Uncle Gus actually hated kids or if parents
who brought kids to be in the audience of a low-budget TV show generally
raised brats.

Uncle Gus was hysterical; its major prop was an outline of the United States
and Gus would call kid after kid up to the desk to try to identify each of
the several states.  Years later when the Uncle Floyd show became popular on
NJPTV, it evoked many memories of Uncle  Gus.

And, of course, when I saw him doing the Atlantic weather, this fit with
Frank Avruch as Bozo and recognizing his voice as a station announcer, and
Captain Bob also giving art lessons on Dateline: Boston, and Bill Harrington
as Nozo, a TV/radio news reporter, and husband of Romper Room's Miss Jean.
This led to a theory that kids' show hosts were in it for the fun and had
other employment where they made actually money, as opposed to being paid in
giant Tootsie-pops and Butchie-boy grab bags.