WMUR

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 09:51:57 EDT 2008

If WMUR was CBS it was very brief because by 1955 they were pretty
much ABC and the primary source for ABC in Boston until channel 5 came
along. My folks watched Lawrence Welk on 9 which for some reason was
not picked up in Boston.

What is totally forgotten is at one point WMUR also had a radio
station that would become WGIR. In fact you could see the WMUR call
letters on the WGIR transmitter unit. Governor Murphy died in 1959 and
I think that is when radio and TV split. I don't know if radio was
ever done at 1819 Elm but I tend to doubt it as there wasn't any room
to speak of but that was before my time.

1819 was at one point the home of Governor Murphy and we found a lot
of old political junk in the attic including a Mc Kinley-Roosevelt
banner we moved to the projection room.

Also 1819 was the office of the artist who drew the Archie comic strip
who rented out a space upstairs.