WMUR

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 08:24:22 EDT 2008

 Kevin Vahey wrote:

> How cheap were they?
>
> In 1968 on election night the station GM declared Nixon won at 1 AM so
> he would not have to pay OT. Channel 9 was six hours ahead of the
> networks.
>
> He also would not air Joey Bishop late nights and we ran old reruns of
> People Are Funny and went off the air at Midnight.

  Prior to the debut of "Good Morning America" in 1975 or 1976, ABC didn't
start feeding daily network programming till 11:00. IIRC WMUR didn't sign on
until 10:45 weekdays with the booth announcer doing a rip & read wire copy
newscast (audio only, with a slide showing the word "News" on the screen the
whole time) then the network show at 11. Did WMUR sign on at 7 to clear
"GMA" from the start? I know on Saturdays they signed on at 8:00 as they
cleared ABCs cartoon/kids shows, and Sundays they signed on at 7:00 or 8:00
to run religious programs.

Mark Watson