WMUR

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Mar 22 01:37:24 EDT 2008

On 21 Mar 2008 at 6:52, Maureen Carney wrote:

> Besides "Uncle Gus" the other reason I would watch WMUR was because
> they cleared ABC programming that the Boston affiate (either WCVB or
> WNAC) wouldn't - stuff like "American Bandstand", "Edge of Night"
> (when it came over to ABC in the late 70s/early 80s) and various
> sporting events. Since for the most part I watched 9 on a B&W TV in my
> parent's bedroom the crappy color didn't bother me!

It's important to remember that there was no full-time ABC affiliate
in Boston until WHDH-TV, channel 5 came on the air in November 1957.
Before that, ABC programs were mostly carried by channel 7, a CBS
affiliate, and sometimes by channel 4.

At the time, channel 4 and channel 7 were not carrying the NBC and
CBS evening news broadcasts, so channel 5 picked up both of them and
did not carry the ABC news with John Daly.  That was on channel 9.

I remember Uncle Gus in the early 1970s.  At the time I worked at
Brookline Town Hall.  Uncle Gus was on at 5 PM, and I usually got
home while he was still on.  After him was Robin Hood, with Richard
Greene, which I liked to watch.  So I would usually turn on the TV
and watch Uncle Gus until Robin Hood came on.