report: NBC to sell Hartford, Miami TVs

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 14:26:12 EDT 2008

I highly doubt Hearst-Argyle would sell WMUR right now. BTW WMUR-DT is on several Comcast systems in the Boston area (I have it in Framingham.) Sunbeam bought WLVI in large part to prevent a repeat of San Jose from happening here. With WFXT and WSBK being owned by Fox and CBS respectively, that takes out the Boston full-power UHF stations out of the mix should NBC want to go that route. I would highly doubt they would want to be on WZMY or WMFP - not readily recongnizable stations even though they're both carried on Boston cable systems. Re-educating the public to where you are is no fun, and perception based on dial position (even in these digital times) is everything. Check out Detroit and the move of CBS from channel 2 to channel 62.

----- Original Message ----
From: Kevin Vahey <kvahey@comcast.net>
To: Doug Drown <revdoug1@verizon.net>
Cc: (newsgroup) Boston-Radio-Interest <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:08:15 PM
Subject: Re: report: NBC to sell Hartford, Miami TVs

NBC played hardball in San Francisco when they pulled NBC from KRON
and bought a station in San Jose.

Just wondering. Suppose NBC tried the same move here by buying say
WMUR. Since Manchester is considered part of the Boston DMA could or
would cable companies in Boston then pick it up like they did for
Channel 11 in San Jose?

Part of the reason NBC bought the San Jose station was they did not
want a repeat of the deal they gave WHDH. At first the San Jose
station said they would pay for the right to carry NBC than getting
paid and then they sold it.

Losing NBC just destroyed KRON and Young Broadcasting has not recovered from it.