The clout of Bruce Bradley

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Mar 16 10:23:21 EDT 2008

Steve

I am friend with someone who worked with Bruce both at BZ and WROW in
Albany. She says he was a bitter man 40 years ago.

I do know Bruce hated it when BZ moved his show from Revere Beach to
Nantasket as he hated the drive but BZ signed a deal with Paragon Park
partly to offset how popular Arnie Ginsburg was in Nantasket.

Bruce obviously could have cashed in when oldies formats exploded 20
years ago but it is obvious he wanted know part of it. We tend to
forget how popular he was out in 38 state land and he was proud that
he was once #1 at night.....in Baltimore. He certainly rivaled Bruce
Morrow and Dick Biondi with a national audience.

Arnie Ginsburg by contrast was a very shy man. I remember the night he
was approached at the old Boston Press Club by one of Jerry's
directors (fancy name for phone screener) about being on a reunion
weekend at WBZ around 1970. Arnie was simply doing sales at RKO and he
was convinced nobody would remember him. The guy that convinced him
was the late Jack Kelly who was then a BZ newsman.

Poor Jack made the mistake of getting on the wrong side of Whitey
Bulger 30 years ago and met a hideous end. He was warned but Jack
thought he was smarter than Whitey.