The clout of Bruce Bradley

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Mar 12 18:00:10 EDT 2008

iraapple wrote:

> Whatever else, Group W as a total organization was a class act in my opinion
> whether by design or fear of the FCC. It was rather conservative while at
> the same time being one of the most creative organizations.

I came to the party a little later - by the time I joined WBZ in 1992,
Donald McGannon was gone and Group W was being run by Dan Mason out of
an office in Potomac, MD.

It was still very much a class act, though. The physical facility may
have been nothing special (Alan and Steve give a very nice description
of the lack of fancy decor at 1170 Soldiers Field Road in the new Jerry
Williams book, and that held true when I got there a quarter-century
after Jerry), but what wasn't invested in the building was invested, and
then some, in the programming.

Group W really thought of itself as another network, co-equal with ABC,
CBS and NBC, and the last vestiges of that were still in place when I
arrived, even if budget cuts had already claimed some of the gems of the
operation, like the Washington bureau.