Larry Glick

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Mar 9 14:27:02 EDT 2008

I guess that, at that point, Grand Ole Opry had never been heard on a
network--just on one huge clear-channel (small Cs) AM signal that was
heard in most of the US. But was Opry ever heard on a radio network at
any point? (I'm not talking about TV.) If so, what network and when?
If not, why not? From what I know of the program, it would seem to be
ideal for network distribution.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sid Schweiger" <sid@wrko.com>
To: "Boston Radio Group" <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 2:20 PM
Subject: RE: Larry Glick

>>I thought ABC got a waiver from the FCC to keep Breakfast Club on
>>the air for affiliates that still wanted to carry, even though it
>>was on borrowed time at that point. That's what I remember reading
>>in Sterling Quinlan's "Inside ABC" at least.<<
It lasted exactly one more year, until 12/17/1968.  However, because
of its length it could not be distributed over ABC Radio's primary
network of telco circuits.  It would have been interrupted five times
an hour by network newscasts to the four networks.  During that last
year it had its own distribution network and was called "The Don
McNeill Show."  It was offered first to affiliates of the American
Entertainment Network.

The reason I posted that it "disappeared" is because, for all intents
and purposes, it did disappear.  Its affiliate list shrank by a lot
after 1/1/1968, it was off of the main ABC Radio Network and that kind
of programming was out of another era in radio, which was rapidly
being abandoned even on so-called adult stations.  The only network
radio show done in a similar style that lasted longer (and even then,
not by much) was Arthur Godfrey on CBS.

It should also be noted that as host of the Breakfast Club, Don
McNeill lasted longer than any other host of a network entertainment
program...yes, longer even than Johnny Carson or Bob Barker.  Don
began the show in 1933.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF/WEEI/WEEI-FM/WKAF/WMKK/WRKO/WVEI/WVEI-FM
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040
P: 617-779-5369
F: 617-779-5379