Larry Glick

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Sat Mar 8 19:04:43 EST 2008

 Part of the job at WBZ was that you HAD to wake Carl up - at 3:45am.  I was
Dave Maynard and later Bob Raliegh's producer at WBZ in 1979 and 1980.  We
had to make that call every morning - the one morning that I forgot to do it
Carl called in a panic at 4:40 - saying he would be late because no one had
called him - Dave had to stay on til almost 5:30!  I got a good earful from
Rick Starr (PD) and Chris Whitting (Exec Producer for talk) about that one.
We turned it into a little shtick - we would just dial Carl's number in
Concord and put the ringing line on the air - then Dave or Bob would tell
the caller 'Say Good Morning when Carl answers the phone' - people would ask
to be put on hold until it got close to 3:45 so that they could be the
"lucky caller" to wake Carl up.

Gary Francis

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
kvahey@comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 6:55 PM
To: Donna Halper
Cc: (newsgroup) Boston-Radio-Interest
Subject: Re: Larry Glick

I visited him many times after I got out of work. Carl the security guard
just waved me through and it was a pleasure watching the man work. Charlie
the cabbie was almost always there and a couple of others.

Larry took great delight in the torture of waking Carl up which apparently
was never a given that he actually was awake and on his way to work.

You have to remember that in the 70's TV wasn't on all night until George
Fennell came along on channel 5 and there was no cable. FM was just taking
root but for an older audience there was just Bruce Lee at EEI, Norm Nathan
at HDH, A generic jock at RKO, and who knows what at MEX.(WCOP may have been
all night with country as well) Larry owned the market then and he said his
biggest competition came from Bill Corsair at WCAU Philadelphia who used to
do all.  nights at WICE in Providence.

Larry was just very, very good at doing nothing and I mean that as a
complement.