The clout of Bruce Bradley

kvahey@comcast.net kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Mar 2 11:31:21 EST 2008

Donna

Same is true in TV. It started in the early 70's when the FCC mandated
the 7:30 to 8 slot be returned to local stations instead of network.
While it was well intended it created the syndication monster. WCVB at
first was one of the few stations that embraced the rule as intended
and we still have Chronicle today.

Local childrens shows vanished. My son never had a Rex Trailer, Bozo
or Major Mudd to enjoy.

Now in some markets you have master control hundreds of miles away
from the transmitter. If there is an emergency in Buffalo how on earth
is an engineer in Indianapolis supposed to handle it?

Satellite distribution destroyed local radio followed by voice
tracking software. I was stunned back in the early 90's hearing Dorman
in Orlando and it sounded local.

I really hope WCAP works as it might provide a model for other
broadcasters. There should always be a place for news, sports and good
local talk on radio but I fear the ship has sailed on music.