The clout of Bruce Bradley

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Mar 2 00:17:27 EST 2008

>Martin wrote--
>     Back in civilization on planet earth, even
>low-life employers have a supervisor tell the employee
>he or she is being fired / laid off. They have
>policies and handbooks about how to handle it.
>
>    Oh, don't get me started.

No, don't get ME started.  I consulted in small and medium markets
for more than 20 years, trained all sorts of good people, got new
artists airplay, created interesting and unique sounding stations
that got good numbers, won awards, etc etc... and then along came the
Telecom Act of 1996 and every one of my client radio stations was
bought up by a giant conglomerate, and I never even got so much as a
phone call ever since (except from people wanting me to find them
jobs).  I watched something to which I had devoted my life get
replaced by voice-tracking and syndicating the same show in city
after city.  And they shoe-horned in more commercials and cut local
content, and then they were shocked, shocked when people stopped
listening... What happened to broadcasting still breaks my heart...