890

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Mar 1 22:43:33 EST 2008

Larry Weil wrote:
> At 1:23 PM -0500 3/1/08, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
>> The other two stations (WSNR 620 Jersey City (New York City), KMPC
>> 1540 Los Angeles) might be classified as dogs because of signal
>> problems (
>
> I remember from my days in the NY area that WVNJ 620 had a pretty good
> signal (on Long Island) for a 5000 watt station.  Are they still using
> the same facilities or has that changed?

620 got pretty badly hosed, to use the technical term. In 1995, they
lost their transmitter site in Livingston, NJ, where the land had become
immensely valuable for residential development.

When that site came down, 620 built the current "temporary" site in
Lyndhurst (or is it East Rutherford?), near the 1190 site. While the
five-tower array was nearly identical to the old Livingston array, it
put its nulls over much more population. Most of north Jersey now can't
hear the station because of the phasing in the tight nulls. Its best
signal these days is over lower Manhattan, Brooklyn and southern Queens.
It's one of the strongest AM signals on Coney Island.

They've had multiple apps and CPs for new sites since then - there was a
plan to go out west that was killed by wetlands issues, and there's been
a plan to go just north of the WBBR 1130 site that hasn't come to fruition.