Can Citadel Broadcasting survive?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Mar 1 22:37:23 EST 2008

Sean Smyth wrote:

> This baffled me as well. How does WABC (AM) work without being tied
> into a strong TV station such as WABC-TV? Surely, it can, but it's
> nowhere near as efficient or strong, one would think.

One of the interesting things about ABC Radio is just how distant it
always was from ABC-TV, at least in the last 40 years or so.

WABC/WPLJ in New York and KABC/KLOS in Los Angeles have almost never
been co-located with their "sister" TV stations. In their most recent
incarnations, WABC/WPLJ at 2 Penn Plaza and WABC-TV at Lincoln Center
were 43 blocks apart. KABC/KLOS at La Cienega and KABC-TV in Burbank
might as well be in different states. WPLJ's transmitter is in a
completely separate space at Empire from WABC-TV; KLOS rents space from
KABC-TV on Mount Wilson.

WLS/WZZN in Chicago and KGO/KSFO in San Francisco operated out of the
same buildings as WLS-TV and KGO-TV (and still do), but in a hands-off
manner. The radio division actually paid rent to ABC-TV for the space,
as Citadel still does.

About the only example I can think of of cross-promotional synergy
between ABC-TV and ABC radio outlets was the afternoon talk show that
the late KGO-TV anchor Pete Wilson hosted on KGO radio until his death a
few months ago.

There was a little more synergy on the network level - ABC TV anchors
and talent were heard fairly often on ABC Radio News, and of course if
you go back a few decades you had Howard Cosell's radio show and such.
ABC Radio News operates out of space in an ABC-TV building on West End
Avenue. I don't know if they pay rent to ABC-TV or how that works.

Perhaps if ABC had taken more advantage of radio-TV synergy, it wouldn't
have sold the radio division...but I guess we'll never know.