famous Jim Sands

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Sat Mar 1 20:18:21 EST 2008

Jim Sands worked with Bob Fuller at WJAB (1440) in the early/mid 60's.

WLOB (1310 am, 97.9 fm) was a sleepy Mantovani-ish station that signed
off at midnight, was part of the "Lobster Network" and sponsored the
S.P.C.E. (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Ears).

In '65 (circa Len Barry's 1-2-3), they were purchased by Atlantic States
Industries and with no warning  to the listeners (other than a few
innocuous announcements) they signed off on Sunday evening (as usual) to
Ebb Tide by Frank Chacksfield & Orch.  Monday Morning they signed on and
rocked.  They imported talent like Charlie Brown (Chares Mushara sp?) to
do evenings, Allen E. Allen (Allen Emerson Fraser) to do mornings and
the Chief Engineer Peter Gowan (from Brattleboro VT) pulled an air shift
as Dr. Go. The early bumpers were a little over-produced, over-the-top
and a tad sophomoric**, but they sure got people's attention.  WJAB (a
daytimer) just couldn't compete.  Sands & Fuller both crossed the street
to do mid-days & afternoons.  Sands also did production.  Some of the
DJ's did personal appearances e.g. remotes and High School Dances.  A
local surfer (Joseph Oscar Shevenell Jr.) did a weekend oldies show as
"Surfer Joe"  Joe now runs a Hot Air Balloon company. We all know where
Bob Fuller ended up.

The studios were very minimal with equipment.  Production studio was a
closet with a turntable, a mic, a mixer, a cart machine and an Ampex
601.  FM was 24/7 simulcast.  News and DJ'ing were both done stand-up at
the main console.

** e.g.
weather intro:  The WLOB meteorologist scans the skies for the
up-to-the-minute climatological survey.
DJ intro: And NOW straight from a record-breaking stay at the #1 station
of the Pennsylvania State Police - it's Charlie Brown