Meet-ups past and future

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jun 23 15:01:52 EDT 2008

At 02:45 PM 6/23/2008, Chuck Igo wrote:
>Donna -
>
>   the black flies are in "Maine."  we here in the Portland area are
> in what Bob Marley calls "fancy Maine."  we have running water and
> the most up-to-date farmer's almanac hangin' by the little
> holey-thing they put in those critters for just such a reason, ayuh.

Wow, really?  Electricity has come to Portland?  You mean there's
radio stations there too?????  :-P   Seriously, I adore Portland and
go there often.  That's why the Boston Globe story was so amusing to me.

Black flies surge in Maine's clean rivers

Citing environment's gain, state declines to curb the biting bugs

By Beth Daley, Boston Globe Staff  |  June 23, 2008

MILLINOCKET, Maine - Mainers call the black fly the state bird.

Residents and tourists have long steeled themselves against the
flies' annual warm-weather onslaught, sometimes duct-taping pant legs
and wearing screened hoods to keep the deceptively small bugs from
delivering bloody bites or crawling into seemingly every body crevice.

But there are now more black flies in more places in Maine, and the
reason may be surprising: It's the success of the environmental movement.

Many species of the gnat-sized insects are sticklers for cleanliness.
When Maine's rivers were filled with contaminants from paper mills
and other industries, only the hardiest black flies laid eggs in
them. Now, rivers and streams are progressively cleaner, providing
ideal breeding grounds for the annoying pests.

It's an unintended barometer of good ecological health, but Maine
officials are adamant they will not mess with nature in any way to
provide relief.

"They can be so thick you breathe them in and they get stuck in your
throat. They even get under your eyelids," said Julia Brilliott, an
Eastport resident who showed off four lumpy red welts on the back of
her neck after climbing Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park last week. [snip]

rest of article
here:
http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2008/06/23/black_flies_surge_in_maines_clean_rivers?mode=PF