digital converter box -- surprising performance

Robert S Chase attychase@comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 12:28:14 EDT 2008

Fall River had a problem with the loop that serves me for a little over a
week last winter. Turns out that the lead covered cable with the copper
pairs in it developed a leak that allowed water to get in. This cable was
installed in about 1932. The fix was to open up the cable where they
isolated the leak to (using a process similar to the reflected impedance
test used by NASA on the ECO sensors which they didn't use many months
before which is probably why Hale is now a deputy associate administrator
for outreach when there is no associate administrator for outreach) and blow
air into the cable to dry out the paper insulation covering the pairs. What
I don't understand is when they have a cable go down like that why they
don't bite the bullet and start to pull fiber out to the subscribers instead
of keeping the outmoded copper pairs?

Bob Chase