digital converter box -- surprising performance

Roger Kolakowski rogerkola@aol.com
Mon Jun 16 08:27:41 EDT 2008

Just a quick story and a thought...about a month ago I found that every
morning my POTS phone line would have a hum on it and no dialtone...so I
started calling repair...two weeks later, on a Sunday, a linesperson, who
said she wasn't busy, finally fixed the problem by routing a new pair 2
miles to the switch.

In those 2 weeks I had visits every day from repair people would bucket up
to the pole and shake their heads and slap some temporary fix that would
last until the next morning. I even was hooked to another guy's line for
several days to give me dialtone. (He was kind of upset BTW)

Bottom line...from the linespeople...no repairs had been done to the copper
in 10 years...all the "good" pairs were used up...there were several "bad"
pairs with "hum on them''...and the records were in such a disarray that the
rest of the pairs got "lost" between the house and the 2 miles to the
switch.

Pulling "house drops" frees up pairs so that the phone company can continue
to provide POTS without major repairs on the aging copper by using only the
"good pairs."

The "last 1/4 mile" solution is the most expensive for the phone companies,
and with the high installation cost and monthly expense for FIOS, the
transition from copper is going to be very painful.

Roger
WA1KAT