digital converter box -- surprising performance

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sat Jun 14 21:34:03 EDT 2008

I have suspected this was the plan for awhile and when I saw the
Alaska company doing it it just confirmed it.

Honestly the cable companies have no choice if they want to compete
with satellite. I am not sure of the exact number of digital channels
can be placed where one analog channel currently resides but I think
it is about 10.

Forcing millions to rent a box will be a nice piece of change for the
cable companies. Cable is losing the batle in the burbs where people
who have a clear view to the bird grab a dish. Many of those customers
are also turning to Fios for internet and or cable.

Still cable will rule for a few more years in cities where apartment
dwellers have no choice but cable. Verizon admits they still can not
deliver Fios to mult-dwellings at this time which is why they have not
applied in places like Boston and Cambridge.