EMF Financials and Standing While Broadcasting

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 12:22:20 EDT 2008

IRS 990 forms can be obtained for free via www.guidestar.com  You have
to register, but it's free.  Search for EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION and
you'll find them, albeit the most recent 990 is from 2005.  Apparently
for that FY they had just over $56 million in revenue and almost $48
million in expenses.  They pay their president, Richard Jenkins $257k in
salary.  Most of the people who work there are paid pretty well,
actually...looks like all the fulltimers make over $100k, although this
is in a suburb of Sacramento (Rocklin, CA) so I don't know what the COL
was in 2005 there.  Expensive, no doubt.

--------

I don't know about scientific proof, but there is ample reason why
singers usually are standing when they record in the studio: standing up
gives your diaphragm more room to move.  Diaphragm control is CRUCIAL to
proper breathing, which in turn is crucial to singing.  It's not very
different for broadcasters, although we are not (usually) trying to belt
it out quite as much as a singer, we do want to have our full dynamic range.

Those of you who've met me in person will find this amusing: I was
always confused about "diaphragm control" exercises and whatnot when I
was a kid until I met with a singing coach once my freshman year of
college, and she told me that I do naturally what most people need to be
trained to do.  The downside, of course, is that when I just speak
naturally, I'm loud as hell.  :-)