128

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Tue Jun 3 08:48:01 EDT 2008

128 is almost a "brand name" like Route 66, known widely around the
country.  It is, of course, the birthplace of many high-tech innovator
companies which started and then flourished during the Cold War years
('50s to '80s).  Many still play a big part in the economic vitality of
the region today.

As one in the electronics industry who has travelled domestically and
overseas, "Route 128" is respected as a hotbed of activity with only a
few other stateside equivalents or superiors.  This short list would
include Silicon Valley (CA), Research Triangle Park (NC), Richardson
(TX), metro-Seattle (WA), the Space Coast (FL), and the Beltway
(DC-MD-VA).

Perhaps "historic Route 128" signs should augment the I-93 and I-95
signs since, as in the case of Route 66 out west, this is American
heritage that refuses to die.

Mark Connelly - Billerica, MA

<<
On 2 Jun 2008 at 21:51, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> Actually 128 only legally exists from Danvers to I think Rockport.
> However we Bostonians simply refuse to call the rest of it I 95.

No, there's a sign somewhere in Canton which says "Route 128 begins
here."

Boston, MA 02109-2004                        http://www.attorneyross.com