WCMF ... CoMFy chairs?

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Jun 3 00:31:19 EDT 2008

On 2 Jun 2008 at 15:53, Blaine Thompson wrote:

> I have not studied enough broadcasting, but I once (first) read that
> announcers sound better on the air if they are standing up.  I do not
> know what the research says on this, though.

I remember when I was starting as a freshman at WMUA at UMass, and I
sounded terrible, they told me to stand while doing my newscast.
Since the studio was set up to sit at a table, that meant relocating
the mike and holding the news copy in my hand, but I tried it, and I
think it helped.  Eventually, I went back to sitting down, but I
think that especially with a beginner trying to sound like a radio
announcer, it helps.

As I recall, Jim O'Hern, the station manager at the time, took the
time to work with me for awhile after a meeting, because he had heard
me on the air and didn't like how I sounded.  Then, next time I was
on, he listened and called to tell me how much I had improved.