so, what is "radio" good for?

mike@miscon.net mike@miscon.net
Wed Jul 30 15:09:18 EDT 2008

>  From: "Chuck Igo"
>
> Dave/Mike - at
least for the time being, with costs of living far
> exceeding
wage increases, terrestrial radio is free, local and timely.

> let me know how that next Tornado warning sounded on the
pod-cast.

> --Chuck Igo

But there's part of
the conundrum: with current economic problems nationwide ("costs of
living far exceeding wage increases") terrestrial radio may free
to the listener but NOT to the broadcaster. B'caster needs to cut costs,
local help makes way for birdfed programming, service (real or
imagined) to community suffers, leading (possibly) to less listeners.
Radio becomes less relevant.

Except perhaps for weather
warnings. But if a EAS is broadcast, and there's no one listening, does it
make a sound?

And will technological advances make local
weather warnings an "override option" on mobile devices such as
phones (much like sever weather warnings on satellite radio)?

What bothers me is that there perhaps *is* a way for radio to remain
relevant, but far too many people - mostly "in the business" -
aren't actively seeking solutions to making it happen. Or perhaps
"radio" is just destined go the way of the
telegraph.

Mike

btw, my podcast downloads are free,
and my home internet connection is considered part of my utility bill. I
will cut back on many other financial expenditures way before I consider
dropping my internet connection.