so, what is "radio" good for?

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Tue Jul 29 20:54:56 EDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Chuck Igo wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Tomm"
> <nostaticatall@charter.net>
> Subject: Re: so, what is "radio" good for?
>> The last couple of times the power went out the WiFi card on my
>> battery powered laptop worked just fine.  I could get on the 'net
>> and  get a detailed forecast in just a few clicks.  I even have a
>> trusty  old NOAA radio next to the flashlight just in case that
>> doesn't work.
>
> to which Chuck replies: A-ha! You used the word Radio....

OK, you got me.  But weather radio from the NOAA is much different
than AM/FM commercial broadcast.  As technology has advanced I find
myself using terrestrial radio less and less.  I've essentially given
up listening to music stations.  Too many commercials and overplayed
songs.  Like many on this list, I find that over the air stations
don't play the genres of music I prefer most of the time.  About the
only stations I listen to are WEEI, WCRN (for the Sox only) WBUR and
WBZ.  However, with plenty of other digital options for news, weather
and traffic, I've found myself tuning into BZ much less often than
just a few years ago.  And I don't have satellite radio either.   No
need.  Besides, I want control of what I listen to and when.  I don't
want to turn that choice over to one of the washed up MD's employed
by the satellite services and pay for the privilege to do so.

> David continued: > Obviously podcasts won't help you in an
> emergency situation, but
>> other digital technologies can send you alerts when needed.  How
>> is  this any different from television?  If you taped or DVR'd a
>> show and  were playing it back, you wouldn't get the tornado
>> warning then  either...
>
> and Chuck's other simple rejoinder: I'm not the one making the
> point (or trying to) that I-pods rule and terrestrial radio drools.

I never said terrestrial radio "drools."  I've maintained that it
must return to being live local and compelling if it wants to compete
with all of the emerging technologies.  WEEI and WBUR do that most of
the time so they get my ears occasionally.  Most other stations don't.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"