Early Red Sox and Braves TV history

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Tue Jul 29 19:44:09 EDT 2008

It was run at the beginning of the WBZ historical documentary run in 1993 or
1998 and since then cut up and run in pieces.........

Gary Francis

-----Original Message-----
From: Donna Halper [mailto:dlh@donnahalper.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:28 PM
To: Kevin Vahey; Gary's Ice Cream; (newsgroup) Boston-Radio-Interest
Subject: Re: Early Red Sox and Braves TV history

>Kevin asked--
>
>Donna does the first film of the leaders of the day welcoming WBZ-TV
>exist? I have read that it included the Governor, Mayor, Archbishop
>Cushing and others.

It was quite an event, and I assume somebody must have filmed it-- maybe the
Library of Congress or the Boston University media archives?  I've never
heard it mentioned at WBZ, but maybe one of the old-timers there knows where
a kinescope exists.

>Kevin wrote--
>I believe the film included a welcome from a Jewish leader who died a
>couple of hours before it was shown.

Yes, what a tragedy-- Joshua Loth Liebman of Temple Israel, one of the most
beloved religious leaders and a best-selling motivational author.  He died
of a heart attack very suddenly, not long after filming his welcome message.
He was only 48 and it turned out he had undiagnosed heart disease.