Early Red Sox and Braves TV history

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Jul 29 19:28:16 EDT 2008

>Kevin asked--
>
>Donna does the first film of the leaders of the day welcoming WBZ-TV
>exist? I have read that it included the Governor, Mayor, Archbishop
>Cushing and others.

It was quite an event, and I assume somebody must have filmed it--
maybe the Library of Congress or the Boston University media
archives?  I've never heard it mentioned at WBZ, but maybe one of the
old-timers there knows where a kinescope exists.

>Kevin wrote--
>I believe the film included a welcome from a Jewish leader who died a
>couple of hours before it was shown.

Yes, what a tragedy-- Joshua Loth Liebman of Temple Israel, one of
the most beloved religious leaders and a best-selling motivational
author.  He died of a heart attack very suddenly, not long after
filming his welcome message.  He was only 48 and it turned out he had
undiagnosed heart disease.