Oldies

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Jul 28 02:06:09 EDT 2008

Oldies has evolved into Classic Hits in many markets.  Stations like
WCBS-FM/New York have shifted focus to a primarily 70's based format
with a few mid to late 60's and compatible 80's tracks included for
spice.  There's absolutely nothing before 1964 on most "oldies"
stations nowadays.  Even Scott Shannon's True Oldies format isn't
going back as far musically as it once did.  The format has had to
evolve in order to stay relevant in the 25-54 demo.

The strange thing is, the money demos aren't listening to classic
hits, even with the changes.  Here in Boston, believe it or not, Kiss
108 and Jam'n 94.5 do very well in that demo, which is unusual.
Current-based hit stations normally target 18-34, but it seems even
40 somethings are listening to them recently.  My wife is 42 and she
bounces back and forth between WXKS-FM and WJMN.   She won't even
tune in Mix or Magic, never mind 103.3.  Too old, she says.  This is
not a local phenomenon either.  Z100/New York is also in the top 3
25-54 on a consistent basis.  Same thing with KIIS-FM in Los Angeles.

As far as new wave goes, there's been a couple of attempts nationally
over the years to come up with an "classic alternative" format
concentrating on post punk and new wave but none have been
successful.  Keep in mind most of this music was fairly edgy and
unfamiliar to most of the country, Boston being a notable exception.
Sure, there were the crossover songs that made it to Top 40, but not
enough of them to sustain a format 24/7.  There simply aren't enough
listeners to support this kind of format.  I suppose a station here
in Boston could try it, but when you consider WBOS is currently
running a 90's based retro alternative format right now and it hasn't
really made much impact so far, I can't see an 80's version working
here either.  It would make a good HD2 channel for WBOS, WBCN or WFNX
though.  I'm a big fan of that music and between my personal
collection on the I-pod (which is huge), several internet streams I
occasionally visit on I-Tunes and Music Choice "Retroactive" on
cable, I probably wouldn't listen to a terrestrial version of it even
if it was out there....

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"