Why Talk Radio is largely conservative - (Was: Howie Carr,)

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jul 21 21:49:04 EDT 2008

At 07:01 PM 7/21/2008, Bill O'Neill wrote:

>Could you suggest data that we could study in this regard? I'm not at
>all doubting your hypothesis; I'd just like to view the baseline data
>and examine the data sources.

I've seen a multitude of studies, many from the non-partisan Project
for Excellence in Journalism, at least that was in the journal Public
Opinion Quarterly.  Let me see if I can find the file I have on
perceived media bias.  Suffice it to say that since the 1950s, there
has been a mantra from the right wing that the media are liberal--
that's kind of odd, given that the 50s was a time when American life
was dominated by McCarthyism, blacklists, red-baiting, etc, and
contrary to McCarthy's assertions, the media were in no way
liberal.  Even respected conservatives like John Dean and Kevin
Phillips would later write that it became a useful political strategy
for conservatives to complain about the "liberal media" any time one
of their issues wasn't covered in the way they wanted.

>Bill also wrote--
>If I've learned anything over the past 18 months or so (whenever this
>crazy presidential election season hatched) it's that political party
>titles are about as reliable as the words, "Assembled in America."

Well in this case, the research was partly done in NPR-run focus
groups, which we could ignore as "partisan" -- but the rest of the
research came from Arbitron. It was shared with me for an article I
wrote last year for Radio World.  The research was on-line at one
point last year, so again, not trying to avoid the question, but let
me see if I can find the file.  As for the statement about newspapers
being mostly liberal, the reputable journal of that industry, Editor
& Publisher, would disagree.  (I'm putting the finishing touches on
my 4th book, so I am up to my ears in about 250 pages of material
about talk shows and talk show hosts.  I just need to locate that
particular file in the midst of all these other files... ;-))

>Bill wrote--
>When the GOP puts up the one candidate, McCain, who is keeping the far
>right radio talkers up all night in the fetal position with their
>thumbs in their mouths, then liberals' concerns pale in comparison.

Umm, I wasn't expressing any concerns.  I was just saying that while
I am liberal to moderate on many issues, and conservative on a few,
it IS a fact that the right totally dominates talk radio, and has for
years. Numerous articles about this have appeared in Talkers
magazine.  I think the media have been quite gentle on McCain till
recently because they like him, they really like him.  Most of the
media venom seemed directed at Hillary Clinton for months. But let's
be fair here-- if the media seem gentle on Obama right now, they
certainly weren't during the Rev. Wright story.  Again, the media are
driven by scandal, sensationalism, and stories they think will get
ratings. They also love a horse race, which is why the Hillary vs
Obama fight got so much air-time.  I promise that when McCain names
his VP choice, the media will stop what they are doing and give it
plenty of coverage.