Why Talk Radio is largely conservative - (Was: Howie Carr, etc. etc. etc)

Steve Cloutier cloutier@piesky.com
Mon Jul 21 16:41:45 EDT 2008

Talk radio being conservative is more of a reaction than anything else.

The most disenfranchised group in America today is probably the white male
over 45.  They produce and have produced most of the wealth and industry in
the country today, and at the same time are taxed the most, and are under
constant attack from all manner of sources.

There is already plenty of left wing and left of center stuff on the air -
NPR (very left most of the time), the major network news (left left left),
and most newspapers.

So, what was left?  Talk radio.  The freest form of radio remaining.

Another topic:  opposing views shouted down?  cut off? I don't think
so.  Not that I listen to Rush a lot, but I have heard him time and time
again let people with opposing views on (and first), and engage in a real
debate.  Never have I heard Rush shout someone down or cut them off.  I
have heard him blow holes in the arguments.  Not that I think Rush is
always right (correct) - hardly.

I don't find too many liberals able to hold up their end of liberal
positions like graduated tax rates (non-flat taxes), set-asides, the 40-B
law (so-called "affordable housing) and a host of other issues.  They end
up name calling, snobbizing (you're not "enlightened" and I am) or resort
to other personal attacks.  Usually, because the issues cannot be honestly
defended.

Regards,

Steve