Howie Carr elected to Radio Hall of Fame

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 12:21:23 EDT 2008

David Tomm wrote:
> The industry needs to make the move back toward the center on it's
> own.  Most importantly, it has to return to local hosts and issues.
> All points of view need to be heard, including moderates, liberals and
> even (gasp!) minorities.
Although I can't fully embrace your premise re: the Fairness Doctrine, I
do embrace the notion that the industry needs to do whatever it needs to
do with minimal governmental interference.  If you are get a chance to
visit Vermont, tune in WDEV (550//96.1//& translators). They have a
decent blend of local talk, primarily liberal, even in the non-talk jock
banter from time to time.  That works well with the landscape, demo, and
a good deal of the state's liberal pods (Montpelier, Burlington).  The
very fact that Boston, host to such a liberal gene pool, isn't blasting
that perspective throughout the Hub has more to do with the quality of
the talker. Opinionated person first and Talker second fails every
time.  Broadcast professional talker first and opinionated person second
builds slowly but far more deeply.  Blame the the decision makers with
hiring authority in the local markets and then pass the blame on up to
the "big nasty corporations with a big agenda." Verdict: Local
programming bosses suck.  And in the stylings of Steve Sweeney in the
stylings of former Boston Mayor Kevin White, "I'm not bittah!  I am nWot
bittah!"

Bill O'Neill