Howie Carr elected to Radio Hall of Fame

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Jul 21 11:50:23 EDT 2008

Most of these talkers from the "glory days" of WRKO plied their craft
before the abolition of the Fairness Doctrine.  The hosts had a
variety of opinions on the issues of the day--some more progressive,
others more conservative.  They really reflected the views of most
mainstream listeners, and all viewpoints were at least tolerated most
of the time.

Since the Fairness Doctrine was abolished and the subsequent rise of
Rush Limbaugh, talk radio has morphed into a bastion of hard right,
neo-conservative "thought" with no room for differing opinions or
respectful debate.  If a moderate or liberal caller makes it to the
air and makes a fair or interesting point, they are shouted down,
ridiculed or both.  All the hosts in talk radio today are pretty much
Rush clones, which is why there are few "stars" in the genre besides
Rush himself.  Oh, and before you say Sean Hannity, can someone tell
me which station in Boston airs his program? If you like RNC talking
points parroted to you and cheap namecalling of political opponents,
then today's talk radio is for you.  For the rest of us, not so much.

As a result, talk radio today appeals primarily to older white males
which is (surprise!) the strongest demographic of the Republican
Party.  In an industry which is constantly looking for younger and
increasingly more diverse demographics, talk radio has become a
dinosaur.  Because of talk radio's anemic billing, most stations
can't afford to have more than one local host, if any at all.
Syndicated offerings are limited--they all sound the same.  Same
viewpoints and prejudices from host to host.  Predictable.  Yawn.

Despite having Howie, Rush and the Red Sox, WRKO's billings lag far
behind their 55+ padded ratings.  They have one of the worst power
ratios in the market.  If 680 wasn't sister stations with wildly
successful WEEI, and low overhead WMKK, which outbills WRKO despite
having no airstaff and a minimal marketing budget, they'd be all-
brokered or all-Spanish by now.

At this point in the game I don't think bringing back the Fairness
Doctrine would help the demographically challenged talk radio genre.
The industry needs to make the move back toward the center on it's
own.  Most importantly, it has to return to local hosts and issues.
All points of view need to be heard, including moderates, liberals
and even (gasp!) minorities.  If that happens, it can return to the
"glory days" of the 80's.  The next generation of talk radio will not
appeal to current listeners of the right wing noise machine, but
that's precisely the point.  It needs to get younger, more tolerant
and most importantly, more local.

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"