Like tropo--except it's AM!

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Tue Jul 15 11:28:08 EDT 2008

<<
Dan Strassberg pondered:

> Last night and early this morning I picked up some AM stations I've
> never heard in Arlington. ...

> This is high-angle skywave, which suggests--I believe--that the
> reflective layer of the ionosphere is unusually low overhead. I can
> offer no explanation for that phemomenon. Maybe someone else can.

I've always noted a lot of short skip in late spring and summer.

In summer '65 when Hartford's WDRC (1360) and WPOP (1410) were both
great Top 40 stations, they delivered nice clean signals just about
every evening during the warm months.  WPTR-1540 Albany - another
legendary Top 40 then - was huge and had little or no interference.

At the time, I was living near the western edge of Menotomy Rocks Park
in Arlington, not very far (under 2 miles) from where Dan is now.

In the wintertime, 1360 had interference to WDRC from WSAI
(Cincinnati), 1410 had WPOP wrestling with WING (Dayton, OH) as well as
PA and DE stations, and while WPTR still had a good signal on 1540, you
had KXEL from Waterloo, IA under it with assorted preachers and country
tunes later at night.

So, in conclusion, short skip ... under 200 miles ... is pretty much a
seasonal thing (better in spring / summer, and yielding to longer skip
in autumn / winter).  This is relatively independent of the solar cycle.

Solar cycle variations would manifest themselves more in terms of more
short-duration blackouts / aurora during high parts of the cycle.  In
those cases most higher latitude skip gets wiped out and a narrow area
of the ionosphere along the southern horizon does all the "bouncing".
Those who chase DX find good Latin American action on such auroral
nights, especially if they have water south of them such as on the
Nantucket Sound facing shore of the Cape.

Mark Connelly - Billerica, MA