AM's covering metro-Boston at night

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Mon Jul 14 15:03:43 EDT 2008

> 1330 (Waltham) is pretty good at night now, just an occasional
> hint of NYC under - not sure if they'll cut the mustard from
> Newton.

1330 moved to the Newton site within the past couple of weeks,
though I don't think it's at what will eventually be full power.
I had read that they're now on at 5 kW, but I thought they had
originally applied for something like 17 kW.

Still, it sounds like it's a major improvement in Boston proper
from what the Waltham site was, especially in the urban/ethnic
neighborhoods where much of their programming audience is. The
Waltham signal was not very strong at night in Boston's urban
neighborhoods. It also sounds noticeably stronger here in the
Somerville area.

Driving in the immediate west suburbs, of course it's not as
strong in Waltham as it was, but it still sounds adequate. I
don't think they'll lose any listeners that they may have had
in the west suburbs that they reached before.

EP