Felger leaving ESPN Boston

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Jul 13 16:10:27 EDT 2008

Well, the night signal improved somewhat when they increased from
3400W to 6 kW. I no longer recall just when the power increase went on
the air, but I think it was within the last year. Besides the higher
power, the new signal involved a pattern modification that increased
the width of the main lobe and introduced a pair of minor lobes to the
north and south of the transmitter site along Route 126.

The night pattern is noticeably fatter than the day pattern, which
protects 900 in Nashua and WCBS. At the 50% equivalent-power points
(that is, at 0.707*Emax), the daytime pattern is 62 degrees wide
whereas the night pattern is 78 degrees wide. I live about 45 degrees
off the pattern axis (which runs due east-west) and about 16 miles
from the transmitter. The night power increase noticeably improved the
signal here. Even though I live well outside the (12.5 mV/m) NIF
contour (according to V-soft, the night signal here is not quite 5
mV/m), I rarely detect WLS underneath WAMG, and when WLS is audible, I
haven't found it loud enough to be bothersome. In my experience, most
stations are listenable to 0.5*NIF or less. Although WCBS is often
just as loud as WAMG at night, I have not detected WCBS's upper IBOC
sideband under WAMG.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367