Felger leaving ESPN Boston

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sun Jul 13 00:43:00 EDT 2008

Don't count out Greater Media.  They've made serious plays for the
Red Sox and Howie Carr over the past couple of years.  They've shown
they can do talk on FM, as WTKK even without Howie or the Sox has
better 25-54 numbers, makes more money and has a better power ratio
than WRKO despite losing to them in the meaningless 12+ beauty
contest.  Plus, GM is privately held and has grown conservatively, so
they most likely have access to the capital needed to make this deal.

Currently, WBOS is nothing but a jockless classic alternative
station.  Essentially, an empty canvas.   Sports stations don't
necessarily need play-by-play to survive, so that wouldn't hold GM
back.   I'm sure ESPN would pull the radio affiliation away from WAMG/
WLLH and put it on WBOS (or BCN for that matter) in a split second.
That would add some special events programming to the new station
along with fringe shift coverage.

I will agree that putting this together would be easier on WBCN.
They could keep O&A on mornings at least in the short term, the Pats
& B's would fit right in, plus pull CBS Radio Sports (mostly NFL &
college football) away from WEEI AND add ESPN as well.  Still, either
station could conceivably do this.  I'm sure Ordway would love to
have BOTH groups in on the bidding, and it may just happen.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"