Blizzard of '78

Martin Waters martinjwaters@yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 11:34:13 EST 2008

    With the 30th anniversary coming next week, Feb.
5-6: What were the effects of the blizzard on the
radio and TV operations of stations in the Boston
area? I was in western Massachusetts then, But had the
imPression that some stations were knocked off for
significant periods?

    I know that WBZ (AM) had to use its backup in
Allston - which was not 10 kW then. It was 1 or 5, I
think. I've heard that WBZ's site in Hull went down
because snow and ice clogged all the ventilation
openings in the transmitter building, the transmitter
overheated and caught fire. Dramatic true story, or
urban legend? How long was it until they got back on
at 50 kW?