Licensed to non-actual locations

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Wed Jan 30 00:16:44 EST 2008

Hi Scott-

I have an interesting case in the works that rests partially on the CDP
issue. I can't comment on it now because it is "ongoing."  The attorney for
our side says CDPs are accepted prima facie, and i've seen a number of cases
to support that position.  It never hurts to include the local governance
and economy stuff in support of the case, though.

I think you are right about Mt. Washington and Mt. Mitchell being licensed
to Boston and Charlotte way back when.  Of course in those days if you had
today's receivers and 1950's FM station counts, there would be hardly any
interference and you could probably pick up both stations in Maryland!

I remember sitting in the ham shack at RPI late at night in the early '70s
and listening to the NYC FMs 150 miles down the road.  Today, you'd be lucky
to hear any of them.

I don't know what the principal community signal requirements were in the
1950s. I think the 70dbu requirement was laid down in the mid 1960s.  But
until the era of dereg, the studios had to be in the principal community.
For WMTW there was no real community, so I have no idea how they handled it.

This brings to mind the case of the Upstate NY network of Class B stations
licensed to Cherry Valley, Weathersfiled Township, and other places. My
understanding is that there was only one studio for the five or six stations
in that network.  When I was a teenager in Delmar, I was able to pick up the
Cherry Valley station. It was a kind of background music format, as I
recall. The owner or his estate eventually transferred the stations to CBN,
who ran Christian programming, and eventually sold them when they made their
commitment to TV and the CBN University project. They are now individual
stations, and not all retained the religious affiliation that came with CBN.

Tuck is a kind of Catch-22. Cambridge already has a station, so it qualifies
as a community. But it would be really hard to justify a move from
Provincetown to Cambridge under 307(b) because Cambridge already has a
station. The most convincing 307(b) showing includes the fact that the
community does not have a local station, thus justifying the removal of the
service from the current community.

Brooklyn is intriguing, but WKRB probably works against the case.

-d