WCOP & WBZ

Martin Waters martinjwaters@yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 01:32:28 EST 2008

Donna Halper helpfully provided, in the WCOP/1150
timeline she posted:

3/20/46  Granted a C.P. for 1150kc, 5kw, DA-2,
 unlimited.  License
to cover the C.P. granted 8/26/46.
--------------------------

    Does that coincide with WCOP moving to its present
transmitter site from the spot on Soldiers Field Road
that Westinghouse at just about that time purchased to
put up a building to house the radio and the TV
station it was in the process of getting ready to put
on the air (air date June 1948)?

    I've seen the WBZ location referred to as the
former WCOP transmitter site.

    Connected with this, I'm curious about the history
of the AM tower in the WBZ parking lot that's now the
10 kW backup for the main site in Hull. Is it,
perhaps, the leftover WCOP tower? That would mean it
also was there when the TV tower so famously fell over
onto the building around 1954.

    That backup tower is amusing to see -- they have a
belt-and-suspenders thing going on there. It's a
self-supporting tire with guy wires anyway.

--Marty Waters