Only a Game (was Glenn Geffner is gone)

Ric Werme ewerme@comcast.net
Wed Jan 23 20:18:23 EST 2008

> ...  For most people who have an
> emotional investment in their local sports teams, even their
> conversations amongst fellow fans of the same team in REAL LIFE is
> full of the same passion that you find in sports talk radio.  Denying
> that absolute reality -- by trying to treat sports in the George F.
> Will-esque way that OaG's discourse is described -- will find few
> listeners and few advertisers.

Wow, comparing George F. Will with Charlie Pierce.  Does that compute?
I think they've put Charlie on sedatives, he only seems to get really
worked up for things worth getting worked up for.  Now if you compared
him to Click & Clack at Car Talk....

Besides, OaG is not call-in talk radio, it's a news program.  Usually.

http://www.onlyagame.org/about/staff/charliepierce.asp says in part:
  Charlie Pierce, Analyst

  Charles P. Pierce was born December 28, 1953 in Worcester, MA. Six months
  earlier, his mother hid in the basement as a massive tornado leveled his
  future hometown of Shrewsbury, MA. The effect of prenatal imprinting is
  still being debated in medical circles, but a connection does not seem
  implausible.

> No, I have not listened to OaG. When I turn on sports talk, I want a
> distraction, not erudition.

0700 is too early for erudition.  I generally lie in bed debating if I
want to listen to the next story or get up and make coffee.  Occasionally
it occurs to me I could turn on the radio in the kitchen.  I need someone
to make a cup of coffee for me before I get up to make a pot.

> Perhaps that makes me lowbrow.

Perhaps that makes me lowbrew.  :-)

	-Ric Werme