Only a Game (was "Glenn Geffner is gone")

Aaron Read friedbagels@gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:56:03 EST 2008

John Francini francini@mac.com wrote:
---------------------
OaG can live and find an audience because it's not commercial radio,
and doesn't have to completely live or die on its Arbitrons.  But, I
assure you, it's not going to catch on with the masses.  Period.
---------------------

Ummm...WBUR most definitely appears in the Arbitrons, and they most
definitely pay a lot of attention to them.  And guess what?  Only a Game
is number one in 25-54 for all of metro Boston in its timeslot (7am
Saturdays).  Number one by a country mile, I might add.  It's a VERY
popular show.

OAG is not quite the top biller for WBUR...the Car Talk & Wait Wait
Don't Tell Me combo mid-day Saturdays claims that one, IIRC (or maybe
Morning Edition does)...but it's right up there.

And while Saturday morning is, admittedly, not morning drive when it
comes to sheer numbers of listeners...there are quite a few people
listening around 7am on Saturday.  Most of the upper (lucrative) end of
the 25-54 demo is usually getting up around then so they're listening
while they get ready for the day.

All this said, speaking as someone who lives and dies with public radio
(and now manages a public radio station) I'm inclined to agree that the
relatively quiet, well-reasoned and dry-humor approach that NPR has
would not be a good fit to program an entire station by.  Sports fans
are PASSIONATE about their team, and a station needs to stoke that
passion.  NPR is almost the antithesis of that; a wink and a wry grin
rather than a spittle-laded scream of support.

Mind you, I'm not dissing that kind of scream.  Hell, I do it for most
of the month of September (and hopefully into October).  ;-)

Anyways, it'd also be cost-prohibitive; OAG has a host, a senior
producer and two associate producers, plus a tech they share with Car
Talk.  Each works 40+ hrs a week to produce JUST ONE HOUR of
programming.  Not to mention the freelancers and commentators who
regularly appear.  To maintain the level of quality of OAG even for a
daily show (10-15 hours/week) would take two dozen people at least.