that horrible BEEP

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Jan 21 00:06:32 EST 2008

On 20 Jan 2008 at 13:32, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> Channel 41 (which, if still on the air, may be WCDA) was the original
> home of WROW-TV. Channel 35 was the original home of WTRI (WTRY's TV
> affiliate and not part of the sale of the AM to the Providence group
> headed by Mowry Lowe that I mentioned in previous posts). There is no
> way I can fully reconstruct the saga of either TV station and I don't
> even know the current calls of Channel 13--all I know is that it is no
> longer WAST, which were the calls for many years after it signed on on
> Channel 13.

I'm not certain of this, but I believe that WMGT moved to channel 19
before the fire.  Apparently there was a lot less range on the higher-
numbered channel.

> Albany-Schenectady-Troy's sole post-freeze VHF was WRGB Channel 6, one
> of, if not THE, oldest commercial TV station in the US. All other
> assignments were on less desirable UHF channels. I remember the
> original assignments on 23, 35, and 41.

WRGB moved from Channel 4 to Channel 6 in January 1954.  While most
TV sets had a fine tuning knob, our Muntz didn't.  There was a screw
adjustment, accessed by removing the knobs and a metal plate on the
front of the TV.  Apparently TV servicemen were very busy at that
point adjusting sets to receive WRGB on channel 6.  We had lousy
reception and sometimes slightly better reception on channel 5 for
some reason.

Finally, tired of waiting for a TV serviceman, my father adjusted the
set himself.  Then he came into my room and told me to come see what
he had just done.  When I saw the clear picture on the TV, I was the
world's happiest 8-year-old.  He was the family hero for at least a
couple of days for that.

As we were about to move back to the Boston area, the headlines were
that the FCC was pushing a plan to have all UHF stations in the
Capital area, moving WRGB to channel 47.  That, of course, never
happened, but when we left, that was in the wind, and the move of
WROW and WTRI to VHF was still in the future.