that horrible BEEP

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Sun Jan 20 14:08:14 EST 2008

After reading your post, Dan, it's amazing Channels 10 and 13 ever got up
and running at all.

WAST 13 built on Bald Mountain in Center Brunswick around 1965 or '66, if my
memory is right.  I remember when the tower was built and how impressed I
was by it.  WAST was, traditionally, the also-ran of the three stations.  It
was an ABC affiliate, it didn't telecast in color until the late '60s, and
originally made up much of its local broadcasting day with cartoons, old
movies and documentaries.  Even the graphics were lousy.  WRGB and WTEN, by
contrast, were class acts --- especially WRGB, which broadcast (and
continues to broadcast) out of a magnificent facility on Balltown Road in
Niskayuna, built with money from GE's very deep pockets.  (BTW, WRGB is
indeed not only the oldest commercial TV station in the U.S. but  the oldest
TV station in the world, period.  It began broadcasting experimentally in
1928 and received its present call letters in 1939.)

WAST's poor-third status was reversed in the '80s after WRGB dropped its
long-time NBC affiliation (it was one of NBC's  original affiliates) and
went with CBS.   WAST picked up NBC, and its then-owner, which I think was
Viacom, almost completely rebuilt the station from scratch, spending
millions on it.  Shortly thereafter, NBC became the #1-rated network, and
WAST changed its call letters to WNYT.  It is now one of the network's
foremost affiliates, and vies with WRGB (depending on which newscast) as the
top-rated news operation in the Capital District.

-Doug