Is WCRB up for sale?

Ric Werme ewerme@comcast.net
Thu Jan 10 22:53:54 EST 2008

 > Ric Werme wrote:
 >
 > > I grew up in Painesville, about 25 miles east of Cleveland.
Haven't heard
 > > WCLV in ages.
 >
 > And you wouldn't hear it if you went home to Painesville, either!

Sigh.

 > WCLV's classical format was also simulcast for a few years on the 1460
 > in Painesville, under the WBKC calls, but the audio quality was abysmal
 > and ratings never materialized.

That was another surprise when I was in the area - I remember 1460 as
WPVL and finding that vital local interest station had turned into
something entirely different was a bit of shock.  Of course, that was
long before I subscribed to this list largely to keep an eye on WCRB
shenanigans.  At the time I didn't quite realize what has happened to
the AM market.

I moved to Painesville in 1957 or so and stayed essentially until I left
for college in Pittsburgh in 1968.  I actually do have roots that add
to my interest in this list.  My first parttime job was to setup and
monitor the Sunday AM remote broadcast of church services in the area.
Every month I'd go to a different church and handle the different
configuration, hope that no one had cut the unswitched telco line that
had been underfoot for the last year or so, deal with snow, fog, trains
blocking the only paved access to the station, etc.

I learned a lot about local radio and how different the various churches
are.
A lot of people listened to that broadcast and played WPVL-O, a sorta
Bingo-like game, and local news, and even the "Be Still and Know" homily
played at the End of the Broadcast Day.

   - Ric Werme