Is WCRB up for sale?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 8 13:38:59 EST 2008

David Tomm wrote:

> Under Entercom, my guess is that WEEI would go to 99.5.  I can't see
> WAAF moving there.  Their core listening area is Metrowest and Worcester
> County, and 107.3 covers that area much better than 99.5.  There's too
> much heritage on 107.3 for Entercom to risk taking the rock off that
> signal.  However, if they were to do that, maybe they put WEEI on
> 107.3/97.7, and move 107.3 back on Asnebumsket.  That would fill in the
> holes between Providence, Central Mass. and Springfield, where WEEI is
> already simulcasting on 103.7/Westerly and 105.5/Easthampton.  Then the
> company could spin off 1440.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Nassau headquarters right now. From
the outside, I can't tell whether the collapse of the WEEI/Nassau
network deal is a long-term falling-out between the two companies, or
whether it's just a bump in the road en route to a later deal.

Common sense would seem to suggest that if Entercom were serious about
buying 99.5, the deal would be done already and Nassau wouldn't be
shopping the station to other buyers. But stranger things have certainly
happened in this business before, so as long as Entercom's cash remains
green, I suppose it can't be ruled out as a possible buyer.