Is WCRB up for sale?

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Tue Jan 8 13:30:31 EST 2008

I think Nassau was brought in as a third party facilitator to get the
Charles River/Greater Media deal done for 102.5.  They never had any
long term plans to keep the station.  It really doesn't fit in with the
rest of their portfolio, and running a standalone operation in a major
market with a boutique format on a suburban stick in a tough radio
economy doesn't make much sense.   The Entercom deal was the best
Nassau was going to get in terms of cash relief, so now that it's dead,
it's only other option is to sell.  CBS and GM are maxed out, and Clear
Channel is in a selling mode right now so spinning it to Entercom is a
distinct possibility.  No matter who purchases 99.5, the classical goes
to HD2.

Under Entercom, my guess is that WEEI would go to 99.5.  I can't see
WAAF moving there.  Their core listening area is Metrowest and
Worcester County, and 107.3 covers that area much better than 99.5.
There's too much heritage on 107.3 for Entercom to risk taking the rock
off that signal.  However, if they were to do that, maybe they put WEEI
on 107.3/97.7, and move 107.3 back on Asnebumsket.  That would fill in
the holes between Providence, Central Mass. and Springfield, where WEEI
is already simulcasting on 103.7/Westerly and 105.5/Easthampton.  Then
the company could spin off 1440.

The other option for 99.5 is for Salem to pick it up and put one of
their "Fish" contemporary Christian formats on it.  Another would be
for one of the big Hispanic broadcasters like Univision or SBS to come
in and try a Spanish language-based format.  In any instance, if 99.5
sells, the classical is gone from the main signal.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"