WTTT-1150 improved signal northward (and 1600 is poorer)

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Fri Feb 29 07:54:32 EST 2008

Over the past two or three weeks, the night signal of WTTT-1150 has
become much stronger here at my location in the Pinehurst (southeast)
section of Billerica, 8 miles due north of their Concord Ave.,
Lexington antenna site.

This seems to have coincided with the format change from conservative
talk to Spanish.

Formerly at night, they'd dominate the channel but there was a fair
amount of interference from WMRD, CKOC, CHGM, and others.

Now it's in like a ton of bricks, almost as good as the Boston 50 kW's
with the exception of WRKO which is only 3 miles away.

I'm wondering if this is accidental or intentional.  Did the FCC allow
some loosening of the protection towards Quebec and Ontario co-channels
?

I'd think that listeners up into the Lowell and Lawrence area (about
10-12 miles north of here) would be getting at least a passable 1150
signal at night versus the complete rubbish they used to get.

Perhaps Dan Strassberg or one of the other facilities experts can
comment.

The station does nothing for me now.  I wish they'd bring back the
1961-version WCOP that I enjoyed when I was going to the Brackett
elementary school in Arlington.  Eddy Mitchell was quite the character
for after-school listening.

One metro-Boston signal is noticeably poorer at night here: WUNR-1600.
I used to tune their Irish show (on one of the weeknights)
occasionally.  The signal was far from perfect, but generally
listenable.

Over the last month or two, they are taking major grief here from WWRL
NYC just about every night.

If they jack up their power, maybe they'll be a contender again.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA