Getting your First Class ticket (was: Music Till Dawn on WEEI)

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Wed Feb 27 09:52:52 EST 2008

Just for the record, a clarification of my comment:

1. I know full well that Arnie has (had) a First Phone license.
2. It was intended neither to impugn nor give short shrift to his
technical skills.  I certainly learned many things from him while we
worked together at WRKO.
3. I simply based my observation on a conversation I had with him in the
mid-late 70's. He noted that, in the past, he had "avoided mentioning"
that he had a First Phone to avoid being stuck doing transmitter duty.
He did not elaborate on where or when.

Just for the record:
    A. I visited 1600 Custom House in summer of 1964 to get my Third
Class license with Broadcast endorsement.  I had been promised a job at
South Paris' premier broadcast facility - 1450 WKTQ-AM - IF I could get
my license.  I was too young to drive (different license) and my mother
(God rest her soul) actually braved Boston traffic for me.
    B. I passed my First Phone (honestly, of course) in April of 1966 at
the Post Office on Forest Avenue, Portland (a stone's throw from WPOR's
tower) - shortly before graduating from what is now Southern Maine
Technical College.  Many in our class went that day.  The examiner
forgot to bring the grading template for Element I.  He said I passed
Element II and either I had a First Phone or was still stuck with my
Third.  The license arrived two weeks later.  To me, that was a BIG
DEAL.  Bless your little heart, Ben F. Waple.