Subject: Voice-over Flubs

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Feb 27 08:08:13 EST 2008

Absolutely not! A night power increase for 1510 required a move to a
more northerly location because of CJRS in Sherbrooke--the station
that, as you put it, taught Woo-Woo to speak French. Sherbrooke is
essentially due north of Boston and it had to be protected. As you
know, the French you heard in Quebec on 1510 was NOT WMEX; it was
CJRS. And yes, the Red Sox did indeed leave 850 for 1510 at some
point. The move to the much weaker signal (around 1976) was bad enough
but the timing was even worse because it coincided with the
construction of the State St South office complex just west of the old
1510 transmitter in N Quincy. The new steel-frame buildings decimated
1510's already-execrable 5-kW night signal, making the station
completely unlistenable even in close-in western parts of the
market--including most of Newton, Waltham, Lexington, Arlington,
Belmont and other places. You didn't have to go to MetroWest to be out
of range and out of luck. WMEX (or maybe it was WITS by then)
installed a new ground system to no avail. They next applied to
slightly relax the pattern of their daytime 50 kW during noncritical
hours. Not much of a relaxation was possible because of WNLC. Various
temporary stopgaps were tried, such as simulcasts of Red Sox night
games on 107.9 and 1330. Finally, there was the problem-plagued move
to Waltham and 50 kW-U. The move cost millions and the big increase in
night power coupled with the tall towers helped a lot in Newton,
Waltham, Lexington, Arlington, and Belmont but was no help at all in
Westwood. In addition, the day signal along the coast--on the North
Shore, for example--suffered greatly. The old 50 kW day signal from
Quincy reached coastal areas over a clear salt-water path; the new
signal from Waltham had to travel over at least 15 miles of rocky,
low-conductivity New England soil.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367